Welcome to the “supTweet” blog – inspired by the “need for feed” – March 21, 2017. The US presidential race has lurched to its conclusion (or maybe not) and Donald J. Trump is now officially the President of the United States, despite losing by a staggering number of popular votes. So secure communications are more important than ever before. With leaks and free speech under attack by the “Post Reality” President we’ll be digging into secure apps – the good and the bad. First up will be Signal, which just added secure video calling. But wait, there’s more. The update opens up a privacy risk inherent in the iOS system and “recent calls”.
*freebies* Many of my blog’s visitors read my advice and walk-throughs on installing a working Joomla locally on their Mac’s Apache server with MAMP. (coming soon Drupal! and a small local PHP/MySQL example input/output DB) They also take away my free pushpin images to make the web a more beautiful space. *freebie* My coding how-to for taming the wild herds of #’s in your Twitter search/feed widget . Free code, free experience. “Experience is what you get when you don’t get what you want”
Our mission is to share insight and to discuss the latest developments in Internet technology. Right up there is Apple’s iService (cloud powered stores, technologies, etc.) graphic status page. Is iTunes Store down? is a great service to check your cloud status. Microsoft’s One Drive / Office 365 Suite is improving and pairs well with Dropbox. It’s great fun to tap away on my trusty iPhone riding NY train and knowing I can finish an item at will.
- I’ve broken off from the DC Independent Film Festival after 4 years of work and success. Straightening out their ancient online resources to WordPress was a great boon to the organization. But the best part for me was taking on three years a coordinator of the festival’s “Summit on the Hill” which is held in Congress during the festival. Choosing a subject, persuading panelists to contribute time and expertise, and managing the entire process has been incredible. 2016 Summit on the Hill – Here’s a video I created in of the 2016 event. DCIFF Summit 2016 from DC Independent Film Festival on Vimeo.
- Mixing Bad – chemicals and film at the DC Independent Film Festival site
- My contributions (list and links) at China Daily Mail
Anyway, it’s important that citizens hear about the [messy] exploding networked world in plain, interesting—or even sarcastic, English (American variant). Big data can overwhelm comprehension in fact or shall we say, sometimes by intent. Winnowing it for friends and cohorts is important. An informed voter (if you are fortunate enough to be in a nation that has a vote) is way better than a blindly angry and uninformed one, if less predictable. Washington DC Weather right now…
Latest week’s activity in the Shanghai Composite Index from Infomine
For the paranoid, refresh the fear with my mega-super-tweet on drones here and read about the craziness around the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act as heard from Senator Wyden (update: this was recently passed into law).
If you are new to DC and urgently need to meet that lobbyist or pass that “off-the-record bit of insider gossip, here’s help for getting around in DC and Metro/Weather/Maps. Please follow me here as I produce articles that leverage a local’s access to some great resources and speakers local to the nation’s capitol city. I take my own photographs. I especially want to express gratitude to organizations like The Atlantic, The Brookings Institute, Ogilvy Public Relations, The Hudson Institute, The Palestine Center, George Mason University, American University, Georgetown University, CodePink, American Enterprise Institute, DC Linktank, CATO Instititute, The Newseum, The Stimson Center, The U.S.-Indonesian Society, The Middle East Institute, SAIS/Johns Hopkins/Nitze, The Library of Congress, China Daily Mail, The Atlantic Council, Busboys and Poets, Institute of World Politics, The Kissinger Institute, The McCain Institute, The Center For National Policy, Resources for the Future, Revenue Watch Institute, World Affairs Council (DC), Nextgov.com, The Heritage Foundation, the Montreal Gazette, PS21 (Project for 21st Century), The Brent Scowfroft Center and Atlantic Council, The National Press Club, CSIS, Center for American Progress, and the U.S. Congress peanut gallery facility for being open and welcoming me in to many great events. And of course my loving wife who is downstairs texting me to get down there and make coffee. I have completed a local install of both Joomla 1.5 and 2.5.2., 2.5.3 and the JCE editor. Running on my MacBook (OS X 10.6.8) under the Apache server using MAMP. Very cool. I have a very large site to migrate to Joomla this summer and I am studying. I am also installing a local Drupal that is not ready for prime time yet. Today (July 25, 2012) my opinion letter to the Washington Post about the loopy craziness of another “blame it on Obama” diatribe was published. Joy. Thank you, Russ
- Joomla Security and Vulnerability Scanning (resources.infosecinstitute.com)
- HOW TO: Change the default 80 port of Apache Server when port 80 is busy with other application (howmenet.wordpress.com)
- Setting Up PHP (The Right Way*) on OS X (chrismcleod.me)
- Global Internet Stats here 2005-2013 at Suptweet (suptweetblog.net)
- Survey shows 70% of Americans think global warming should be a priority, but… (treehugger.com)
- If I were to start from scratch on Twitter, this is what I’d do (jonworth.eu)
- I can hear you and see you, and I’m live-tweeting all of it! (socializedca.com)
- How to Avoid Twitter’s Pitfalls (For Political Types) (abcnews.go.com)